Self-Published Author Guidelines
Please Note: We don't review books. We don't accept books outside of these guidelines and procedures. We don't provide marketing services for your book.
Congratulations on your new book! As a service to our local self-published authors, Pages Bookshop offers a consignment sales program.
Pages defines as “self-published” any author who has paid (or otherwise arranged) to have their work printed, either personally or through a professional self-publishing service such as Createspace, Xlibris, Lulu or Infinity Publishing. Authors who start their own publishing companies to publish their own writing are also considered self-published.
If you are a self-published author who would like to propose an event at Pages Bookshop, please note that event proposals will not be considered until your book has been accepted for consignment sale through the process below. Authors whose books have been accepted for consignment may email requests to email@example.com; please note that we cannot consider events on short notice and your request should be made at least 6-8 weeks in advance of your proposed date(s).must A proper event proposal will include information about your (author) and a brieft storyline of your book. You must include how you will market the event and to who. You can't rely on Pages to bring customers to your event.
In order to begin the review process, please read the following procedures and guidelines carefully:
Pages will only consider books that meet the following professional standards:
- The book must be professionally bound and finished. Books that are spiral bound, stapled or contain loose pages will not be considered. The title must appear on the spine and artwork should not be visibly pixelated.
- The book must be professionally edited with no obvious errors. Be prepared with the name of your editor.
- The author must be a current resident of the Detroit Metro area.
- We don't carry every genre in our store. Your books must be in one of the genres we carry. Notably missing is romance, sci-fi, fantasy, horror, and Christian fiction.
- An ISBN must be assigned to the book and printed on the back cover.
- The book must be priced comparably to other titles of its size and genre.
- The book may not contain any racist, sexist, homophobic, or overtly dogmatic content.
- We don't accept authors who refer readers to competitor bookstores and online retailers on the acknowledgment page, or anywhere else within the bound pages of the book. This includes bookmarks.
- Consignment authors must visit our store to get a sense of the character of the bookstore and the type of books we do and do not carry. Not every book fits into our selection nor does your book fit in all bookstores.
Books that do not meet the guidelines above will not be considered.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org and provide details of your book. Include information about you, title and genre, price, and why you think that your book will sell at Pages. Not all books sell in our store, regardless of who publishes them.
- If your book is accepted for consignment sale, we will contact you by email to confirm our consignment terms. Authors must agree to the following terms:
- Authors must list Pages Bookshop as a retail location prominently on their website and marketing materials; the more you encourage your readers to come into our store, the more your book will sell here! The initial consignment period is three months.
- If your book sells at least one copy during that period, Pages Bookshop may choose to extend that period for additional three month periods until all copies have sold. Once all copies have sold, Pages Bookshop will contact you regarding restock and issue you a check for 60% of the retail cost of each book.
- If your books fails to sell during its first or any subsequent consignment period--or if Pages Bookshop wishes to return your books for any other reason-Pages Bookshop will contact you to issue you a check for any sold copies and return your unsold books. Authors are responsible for all return shipping costs and Pages Bookshop is not responsible for any loss or damages incurred in the returns process. If you fail to make arrangements for pick-up or return of your books in four weeks, they will be donated.