Black's Student Medical Dictionary (Paperback)
Black's Medical Dictionary has been the best-selling medical dictionary for over 100 years. It is invaluable as a home reference and for all who need clear explanation of medical terms: nurses, health care professionals, students, health service management, actuaries, lawyers and journalists.
It contains over 5000 definitions and descriptions of medical terms and concepts with over 1000 diagrams, drawings and colour illustrations. It also provides helpful appendices on common medical tests and procedures, travel and health, measurements in medicine, health economics, complementary and alternative medicine, and an address list of supporting professional organisations.
This new edition contains new material on:
- HPV vaccine: the vaccine now given to all young girls to protect against cervical cancer
- Monoclonal Antibodies: the `designer' drugs of the future
- The new guidelines for fibroid treatment
- Endoscopy and laparoscopy - the more and more widely used types of keyhole surgery
- Coronary angioplasty: the emergency treatment of heart attacks
- The latest on MRSA and stem cell research
About the Author
Editor Dr. Harvey Marcovitch was a consultant paediatrician for 25 years. He edited Europe's premier paediatric scientific journal, Archives of Disease in Childhood, and is now syndication editor for BMJ Publications. He is an honorary senior clinical lecturer at Oxford University and an associate member of the General Medical Council.