As a service to our local self-published authors, Pages Bookshop offers a consignment sales program.
Pages defines as “self-published” any author who has paid (or otherwise arranged) to have their work printed, either personally or through a professional self-publishing service such as Createspace, Xlibris, Lulu or Infinity Publishing. Authors who start their own publishing companies to publish their own writing are also considered self-published.
If you are a self-published author who would like to propose an event at Pages Bookshop, please note that event proposals will not be considered until your book has been accepted for consignment sale through the process below. Authors whose books have been accepted for consignment may email requests to email@example.com; please note that we cannot consider events on short notice and your request should be made at least 6-8 weeks in advance of your proposed date(s).
In order to begin the review process, please read the following procedures and guidelines carefully:
Pages will only consider books that meet the following professional standards:
- The book must be professionally bound and finished. Books that are spiral bound, stapled or contain loose pages will not be considered. The title must appear on the spine if possible and artwork should not be visibly pixelated.
- The book must be professionally edited with no obvious errors.
- An ISBN must be assigned to the book and printed on the back cover. For more information about how to purchase an ISBN, see the US ISBN agency (LINK)
- The book must be priced comparably to other titles of its size and genre.
- The book may not contain any racist, sexist, homophobic, or overtly dogmatic content.
- We highly discourage authors from referring readers to competitor bookstores and online retailers on the acknowledgment page, or anywhere else within the bound pages of the book.
- We encourage all consignment authors to visit our store to get a sense of the character of the bookstore and the type of books we do and do not carry. Not every book fits into our selection nor does your book fit in all bookstores.
- Books that do not meet the guidelines above will not be considered.
- In order to provide fair and thoughtful consideration to all consignment authors, Pages Bookshop charges a non-refundable reviewing fee of $25. Fees are payable in person or via check by mail. If you prefer to submit your book by mail rather than in person, please include a check made out to Pages Bookshop in the same package as the book. All consignment authors must drop off or mail a review copy of their book(s) to the store.
- All books sent by mail must be accompanied by a completed consignment review form. Books submitted without this form will not be considered. Please note that we will only review physical books (no-ebooks). We will not contact your publisher to obtain a copy of your book; you must submit it yourself.
- The consignment reviewer will contact you with a decision regarding your book within 4-6 weeks. If your book is not accepted for consignment sale, it is your responsibility to pick it up at our store or pay to have your book(s) shipped back to you via a service such as stamps.com within four weeks of notification. All consignment books, including the review copy, are submitted at the author’s own risk and Pages Bookshop is not responsible for any charges, loss or damages incurred in the shipping process. We will not mail books back to you COD. If you fail to make arrangements for your book(s)’ return within four weeks, they will be donated to a charitable organization.
- If your book is accepted for consignment sale, we will contact you by email to confirm our consignment terms. Authors must agree to the following terms:
- Authors must list Pages Bookshop as a retail location prominently on their website and marketing materials; the more you encourage your readers to come into our store, the more your book will sell here! The initial consignment period is three months.
- If your book sells at least one copy during that period, Pages Bookshop may choose to extend that period for additional three month periods until all copies have sold.
Once all copies have sold, Pages Bookshop will contact you regarding restock and issue you a check for 60% of the retail cost of each book.
- If your books fails to sell during its first or any subsequent consignment period--or if Pages Bookshop wishes to return your books for any other reason-Pages Bookshop will contact you to issue you a check for any sold copies and return your unsold books. Authors are responsible for all return shipping costs and Pages Bookshop is not responsible for any loss or damages incurred in the returns process. If you fail to make arrangements for pick-up or return of your books in four weeks, they will be donated. Reviewing fee is not refundable if books fail to sell.
For any additional questions, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Use the following address to mail books or checks:
Attn: Consignment Manager
19560 Grand River Ave.
Detroit, MI 48167